What Are Project Management Tools?
If you're here, you're probably wondering, "what are project management tools?" Well, you're smart for coming to a project management software for answers to that question. Project management tools are aids to assist an individual or team to effectively organize work and manage projects and tasks. The term usually refers to project management software you can purchase online or even use for free.
Project Management Tool Overview
Despite its name, project management tools are not just for project managers. Project management tools are made to be completely customizable so they can fit the needs of teams of different sizes and with different goals.
What Are Some Project Management Tool Features?
Project management tools are usually defined by the different features offered. They include, but are not limited to:
- Planning/scheduling - Project management tools allow you to plan and delegate work all in one place with tasks, subtasks, folders, templates, workflows, and calendars.
- Collaboration - Email is no longer the only form of communication. Use project management tools to assign tasks, add comments, organize dashboards, and for proofing & approvals.
- Documentation - Avoid missing files with file management features: editing, versioning, & storage of all files.
- Evaluation - Track and assess productivity and growth through resource management & reporting
What Are Program Management Tools?
A program management tool may be similar to a project management tool, some a few key differences. Before we talk about how the tools differ, let’s discuss how program managers and project managers compare:
- Projects typically have clear start and end dates, with short-term goals that lead to tangible outcomes or deliverables. Constraints such as cost, resources, budget, and time all factor into the feasibility of a project
- Programs are composed of several, interconnected projects that, when combined, achieve a larger, long-term business objective.
- This means program management tools will need advanced features to track projects at a higher-level in order to see how each project is interacting with each other. These tools can include:Flexible work views
- Cross-functional resource management
So, what is a project management tool? Simply put, it's software to help organize work and collaborate with colleagues on projects.
- 5 Warning Signs Your Current Project Management Tool Just Isn’t Cutting It
- 10 Must-Haves for Creative Project Management Software
- Why (and How) a Small Business Chooses Project Management Software