What is Cost Management in Project Management?
What is cost management in project management? Cost management is the process of estimating, allocating, and controlling the costs in a project. It allows a business to predict coming expenses in order to reduce the chances of it going over budget.
Projected costs are calculated during the planning phase of a project and must be approved before work begins. As the project plan is executed, expenses are documented and tracked so things stay within the cost management plan. Once the project is completed, predicted costs vs. actual costs are compared, providing benchmarks for future cost management plans and project budgets.
- Three Ways to Minimize Your Project Budget Exposure
- 3 Kinds of Data To Help Avoid Project Management Failure
- Smart Ways to Manage Your Team’s Resources with Wrike
- Project Management Basics: 6 Steps to a Foolproof Project Plan
- Why You Need to Record Your Project Management Lessons Learned: Tips & Templates