What is SMART in Project Management?
SMART refers to criteria for setting goals and objectives, namely that these goals are: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound. The idea is that every project goal must adhere to the SMART criteria to be effective. Therefore, when planning a project's objectives, each one should be:
- Specific: The goal should target a specific area of improvement or answer a specific need.
- Measurable: The goal must be quantifiable, or at least allow for measurable progress.
- Attainable: The goal should be realistic, based on available resources and existing constraints.
- Relevant: The goal should align with other business objectives to be considered worthwhile.
- Time-bound: The goal must have a deadline or defined end.