Qu'est-ce que la gestion des coûts en gestion de projet ?
La gestion des coûts désigne le processus d'estimation, d'affectation et de contrôle des coûts d'un projet. Cela permet à une entreprise de prévoir les dépenses à venir et de prévenir les éventuels dépassements de budget. Les coûts prévus sont calculés lors de la phase de planification d'un projet et doivent être approuvés avant le lancement de ce dernier. Afin de s'assurer que le plan de gestion des coûts est respecté, les dépenses sont consignées et font l'objet d'un suivi durant l'exécution du plan de projet. Une fois le projet terminé, les coûts prévus sont comparés aux coûts réels, afin d'obtenir des points de référence pour les futurs plans de gestion des coûts et budgets de projet.
Why is cost management important in project management?
Cost project management is vital to an organization’s project planning process. In fact, global services company Accenture believes sustainable cost management should be “part of the company’s DNA.”
Without a detailed budget, you cannot effectively map out the resources needed for your project. For example, if you are renovating an office building, you need to hire an architect, pay for building materials, and agree upon hourly rates for construction workers. For all these tasks, you need to accurately estimate all costs and ensure you have the budget to cover these resource costs.
What are the benefits of cost management in project management?
Project managers should not underestimate the business advantages of effective cost project management. Here are three of the key benefits:
- Prevents overruns: By allotting costs in the early planning stages, project managers ensure they don’t overspend on specific areas.
- Avoids risk: A good budget will have a risk allowance to ensure project success is not compromised if unforeseen costs arise.
- Aids future planning: Cost project management reports can help with resource optimization. This can lead to more accurate budgets in the future.
What are the challenges of cost management?
Cost project management can be tricky. Below are three challenges that frequently crop up:
- Lack of resources: If a project budget is too small, it can be difficult to secure the required labor, materials, etc. to successfully complete the project deliverables.
- Inaccurate estimation: Poor forecasting can occur when a manager is inexperienced or doesn’t fully understand the scope of the project. This can lead to cost overruns and affect overall profitability.
- Outdated technology: Project managers need access to intuitive, up-to-date technology and tools to accurately manage costs.
Who is responsible for cost management in a project?
Project managers are responsible for cost project management. As part of their role, they must estimate total costs, plan the budget, monitor spend, and prepare for potential risks. A project manager must remain vigilant throughout the cost management process to ensure they stay within budget and improve profitability.
Which project tools help with cost management in project management?
There are many tools that can boost cost in project management. The best option is to choose a versatile project management platform with a variety of tools, so you can tailor the software to your specific project needs.
Here are some of the most important tools:
- Budgeting feature. For effective cost project management, you need an accurate budget. This requires a budgeting tool that enables you to track costs using custom hourly rates and tailored financial fields.
- Time tracking software. This is particularly useful when trying to estimate resource cost in project management. When team members log hours using a task timer, project managers can use this data to determine how long a certain task takes, and allocate resources accordingly.
- Reporting and analytics tools. For real-time insights into their cost management process, project managers should generate weekly reports with detailed charts and graphs. Analytics dashboards can also be created for a project portfolio overview.
- Three Ways to Minimize Your Project Budget Exposure
- 3 Kinds of Data To Help Avoid Project Management Failure
- Smart Ways to Manage Your Team’s Resources with Wrike
- Project Management Basics: 6 Steps to a Foolproof Project Plan
- Why You Need to Record Your Project Management Lessons Learned: Tips & Templates