Successful professional services managers know that who you assign a task to is just as important as the task itself. You want to pair the right teams with the right priorities and, luckily, task management software can make it easy. Even if you’re juggling multiple active projects, getting clarity on your workload distribution and finding new ways to increase efficiency at a high level are achievable goals. Here’s everything you need to know about how to improve your collaboration strategy.
What is task management?
But beyond its simple definition, task management has a more complex layer of benefits that PS managers in any industry can use to create healthier teams in a few key ways. We’ll explore more of these later on. But first...
How can you effectively manage tasks?
The right combination of tools and techniques can go a long way. Here are the essentials:
1. Develop these 3 key skills
To be great at professional services management and task delegation, you’ll have to cultivate the following skills: flexibility (which is a lot easier when you have an overview of all your projects and resources at your fingertips), patience (for when things go wrong), and communication (which is, again, much easier when you use the right tools). And, if you’re curious, here’s a great list of habits you can chip away at as well.
2. Create your flow
For example, this anatomy of a task clearly defines a system that can apply to any project regardless of what industry or objective it serves. Use the example in the link or make your own version of a repeatable task process.
3. Task management software
A sophisticated tool like Wrike is easy to use and can help you accomplish your management and workflow goals. Powerful task management software is the most important tool that PS managers can wield if their aim is to improve collaborative project management within their teams.
What are the key benefits of using task management software?
You’ll probably find that a lot of these benefits support your most pressing goals for the year.
- Improved efficiency. Your team will have more time to focus on high ROI work once they no longer need to sort through old emails and communications to fulfill their to-do lists.
- Effective workload distribution. Project management software can help you spot who has too much on their plate and who doesn’t have enough. And as projects ebb and flow or changes come up, you’ll be able to restructure or assign tasks on the fly.
- Increased profitability. The better you manage the work you have, the more time you save. Spend that extra time taking on more work without compromising on quality.
- Enhanced transparency. Task management tools and methods help build stronger teams through practical vulnerability. An open communication platform also encourages people to be more open. So, asking questions, giving feedback, and providing realistic updates becomes easier. Not only does this eliminate redundancies, but it also keeps the focus on the collective, which is a necessary mindset shift for teams looking to increase productivity.
- Facilitating creativity. When communication is centralized, your team can brainstorm together as if they are all in the same place, no matter where they’re actually based.
- Encourage collaboration. Task management software gives everyone a voice. When team members have new ideas, your colleagues have a place they can share, save, and reference them at a later date. And it’s easier to balance out each individual’s contributions because you’re seeing everyone’s input right on the same page.
4 key ways to get the most out of team task management software
What is the best task management software, really? Besides being easy to use, leading programs will also offer all of the features below.
1. Manage your work in one central dashboard
Dashboards give you a bird’s eye view of all your active projects in one place. Utilize any color-coding or customizable widgets to help differentiate tasks, teams, and phases.
2. Share the work between team members
For example, Wrike makes it easy to share a specific task or file with individuals - all you have to do is mention (using @their name) and they’ll automatically be notified. So, even though all your information is stored in one place, you can still maintain privacy and ensure that only the relevant people have access.
3. Use collaborative editing
Shortened review cycles, quick request responses, and more fluid approval processes are just some of the benefits. Add your key stakeholders to important documents so they know what’s going on at all times.
4. Keep everything and everyone in sync
Task management software can do this for you as long as you actually use it. Add all pertinent teams, materials, and timelines when you first get started. After the initial set up, things like reminders, alerts, and progress reporting become automatic.
Cohesive collaboration across teams and individuals is only one tool away
And Wrike could be that tool for you. Be sure to check out our free trial here to get a feel for how task management software can elevate your work and improve collaboration within your teams.
Get things done faster with Wrike!
Wrike is a highly flexible collaboration and project management solution for teams of all sizes.