What Is the Best Team Collaboration Platform?
The best team collaboration platforms provide functionalities that enable critical aspects of collaboration between teammates, cross-functional teams, external collaborators, and stakeholders. They help streamline collaboration activities and keep projects and processes running smoothly while monitoring any deviations or bottlenecks.
Benefits of team collaboration platforms
The benefits of team collaboration platforms are significant. They empower teams and collaborators to combine knowledge, expertise, and networks, regardless of geographical constraints.
Employees are more productive and in control of their work as they can log in to collaboration apps even when away from the office or handling personal affairs. Flexibility is built into the work culture, creating a more positive environment. Other benefits of team collaboration platforms include:
- Centralized workspace: Team collaboration platforms provide a consolidated data, documents, and communications repository, making it easy to align everyday operations with overall business goals and priorities.
- Visibility and transparency: Team collaboration platforms provide visibility into project progress, team and individual work performance, organizational schedules, deadlines, etc. With the right access levels and permission controls, management and operational team members can access relevant information without back-and-forth emailing.
- Attracts top talent: Talented professionals are attracted to organizations that use and champion collaborative technology platforms, as this indicates a forward-thinking and innovative company culture. Team collaboration software makes it easy to create a professional pool of collaborators, consultants, agencies, and freelancers.
- Encourages accountability: Collaboration software keeps team progress transparent and encourages everyone to do their part. Team members are more likely to take proactive responsibility for their work, keep their word, and complete projects in good time and quality.
- Gathering valuable insights and reports: Team collaboration platforms can become a database for useful company data. These platforms provide reports from past projects and activities to help management plan and make better decisions for the future.
Features to look for in team collaboration platforms
Your organization's needs would determine your choice of collaboration apps. A few essential features to look out for, regardless of your software choice, are:
- Messaging and communication
- File uploading and sharing
- Document management
- Cloud storage
- Mobile applications
- Third-party app integration
- List, timelines, or calendar views
- Version history and work trails
- Approval and sign-off features
- Personal note-taking space