Did you know that working from home can improve team job performance by as much as 13% and save employers $11,000 per telecommuter? This explains why 70% of the global workforce does business from home at least once a week. As this trend continues to grow, directors need to learn how to manage remote teams and unlock their full potential in order to avoid some common pitfalls.
Discover the answers to your most urgent remote workforce management questions along with some actionable tips you can use to keep everyone on track.
How do you manage a remote team?
Manage remote teams with the best software, the right kind of accountability, and a strong foundation for future scaling.
Follow these foolproof tips for managing a remote team:
- Choose the best project management solution. Look for one that has in-app messaging and task dependencies, since these tools keep teams on the same page regardless of where in the world they are located.
- Hold remote employees accountable with a buddy system. Shift your management style from team leader to delegation captain. Assign another onsite employee or remote team manager as a project point person for each remote employee to check in with, update, and report to as needed. Encourage assigned point people to show remote workers some love and appreciation when they do a good job to boost morale for this isolated position.
- Create a strong foundation for future scaling through proper documentation and productivity measurement. Focus on performance over attendance and maximize all available resources to scale your business using a remote team.
What are the challenges remote teams face?
Remote workforce management has its challenges, the most common being communication overwhelm, inadequate processes for common tasks, and misunderstood subtext in messaging.
Check out some actionable solutions for to how to manage a team remotely:
- Solve communication overwhelms with a centralized project hub so workers don’t have to wade through messy email chains and instant messaging platforms to find relevant project information.
- Fix inadequate processes for common tasks with customizable workflow templates. Test out the effectiveness of those templates then edit and improve them over time.
- Help remote workers understand subtext in messaging with globally understood tools such as emojis, GIFs, and memes. Team collaboration software should help employees transcend cultural or linguistic barriers with symbols we all understand.
What are some remote team best practices?
Remote team best practices cultivate a digital work environment that sets employees up for success through tools that accommodate multiple time zones, measure the right KPIs for this unique business structure, and reduce busywork wherever possible.
Explore managing remote teams best practices and begin to apply these simple strategies today:
- Create a work management system that accommodates multiple time zones at once. Automatic tools are best for this.
- Choose remote work KPIs that hold employees accountable and motivate them at the same time.
- Use automation to eliminate or reduce tasks for remote employees. Streamline everyday tasks such as project notifications with task dependencies that notify next in line employees to move on to the next phase.
What software can you use to manage remote teams?
Use collaboration, work management, and time tracking software to manage remote teams. Or, better yet, find an all-in-one remote workforce management software solution such as Wrike.
Learn how easy it is to keep remote teams on track with Wrike:
- Clarify task priorities on a team and individual level with clear color coding and label tools.
- Create and send weekly progress reports and update emails to all employees to keep them in the loop with relevant information gathered from across all projects they’re involved in.
- Share files in one centralized dashboard to eliminate time-consuming access requests or document searches on third party sites.
- Loop other team members and subject experts into specific project conversations just by mentioning their name within the system.
Know how to manage remote teams with the right tools
Confidently use these tips to manage remote teams, overcome common challenges, implement best practices, and choose the best possible software to make it all happen. See firsthand how Wrike helps users successfully manage remote teams with our free trial.