Remote work guide
FAQ
← Back to FAQ

How Many People Work From Home?

Today, it is imperative for businesses to diversify their hiring and flexible work options. For employees, working from home provides freedom and a sense of autonomy. For employers, remote work may represent significant cost savings and increased access to top talent. 

As a result of changing attitudes about remote work (and the COVID-19 pandemic), there has been a surge in remote work arrangements and hiring opportunities. But precisely how many people work from home?

Whether you are a curious employee or an employer who wants to know about emerging trends related to remote work, here are some remarkable statistics that paint a picture of how many people work from home. 

Work from home statistics:

  • 4.7 million U.S. workers were already working from home before the Coronavirus pandemic
  • 88% of the businesses across the globe encouraged their workers or made it compulsory to work from during the COVID-19 crisis
  • 77% of remote workers believe their productivity levels increase when working remotely
  • 53% of telecommuters in the United States consider flexible schedules as the top work advantage
  • The United States companies that permit their workers for remote working experience 25% lower rate in terms of employee turnover
  • 67% of businesses reported an increase in expenditure on web conferencing platform 
  • 74% of organizations intend to switch some employees to a permanent remote work arrangement
  • By 2028, 73% of all teams will include remote workers 

The above stats indicate that remote work culture is here to stay as demonstrated by its upward trajectory.

However, remote working has its challenges. This is especially the case for some industries like transportation, construction, and hospitality. While working from home is an option for many, the vast majority of U.S. workers do not have jobs that can be done fully remotely. 

One University of Washington study estimates that only 25% of U.S. workers (35.6 million people) have jobs that can be done in a completely remote capacity. The remaining 75% are in jobs that cannot be done remotely.

Find out more about work from home trends and the future of remote work