How Do I Access My Work Email From Home?
As remote work becomes widely adopted in workplaces worldwide, the need to access email — whether in-office, at home, or on the go — has become critical for job success. Learning how to access your work email from home can be challenging if you're new to remote work.
Below you’ll find step-by-step instructions on how to check work email from home. This article focuses solely on Outlook work emails, which many organizations use because of its features, cost, and security. However, Outlook is just one of the many tools and software solutions that remote teams rely on.
How to access Outlook work emails from home using a desktop computer
You can access your work emails on your desktop computer using either the Outlook Web App or Outlook Client.
How to access Outlook work email from home using the Outlook Web App:
- Contact your company's IT department to confirm if you can access your Outlook email outside the office.
- Confirm if your company's Office 365 or Exchange Server supports Outlook Web App.
- Log in to the Outlook web app using the confirmed email service.
- If Office 365 for Business: Visit portal.office.com.
- If Exchange Server: Visit the login page for your Exchange Server. For example, if your company is called "XYZ," your Exchange login page may be mail.xyz.com.
- After logging in to the app, sign in using your Office for Business or Exchange email address and password.
- You're done! Now, you'll be able to access your email on your desktop. If you're using Office 365 for Business, click the app-launcher button and select "mail." If you're using Exchange Server, navigate the sidebar and click the mail option.
Steps to access your work email from home using the Outlook Web Client:
- Contact your company's IT department for permission to access your work email from home and get your company's email server address.
- Open the Outlook app on your PC or Mac.
- Select the file menu and click "info" to display account information.
- Click the "add account" option to add a new account to Outlook.
- Next, type in your work email address and password.
- Once logged in, click "inbox" in the navigation sidebar.
How to check work email from home using a smartphone
You can use your iPhone or Android smartphone to access work emails.
Steps to access your work email from home using an Android smartphone
- Contact your company's IT department to confirm if your company permits external connections to the email client.
- After confirming, click the settings app on your Android phone.
- Click “accounts.”
- Select the "add account" option and click "Exchange" or "Office 365 for Business."
- Enter your work email address and password.
- Do not click on "next" immediately. Instead, read the permission information carefully before granting access. You can do this according to your IT department's instructions.
- After connecting your account, choose the data you want to sync to your phone and click "sync email."
- You're done! Now, you'll be able to check your work email in your Android's email app.
Steps to access your work email from home using an iPhone:
- Check with the IT department for your eligibility and confirm you can access your work emails from home.
- Open the settings app on your iPhone.
- Click "mail" and select 'add account."
- Here, you select "Exchange" and enter your work email address and password.
- Turn on the "mail" toggle and click on "save."
- Some Exchange Servers might require a passcode when adding your work email. Whenever you need to access and check your work email on your iPhone, you'll need this passcode.
We hope the steps above provide easy-to-follow guidelines to help you access work emails, whether you're working from home or transitioning into remote working. Discover more work from home software solutions on the Wrike blog.