The guide will show you how to:
- Build an archive of ideas
- Create a new workflow for your content
- Use dashboards to monitor progress of your content pieces
Build your content idea archive
Create New Personas
Before you craft your content, you have to know who you're writing this content for.
- Create a folder called "Buyer Personas" to hold these customer profiles.
- Within the folder, create a task for each buyer persona. Think of these as dossiers on the types of customers your business gets — you can add to these files as you learn more and more about them.
- Once you're done, make sure you share this folder with all sales and marketing groups.
Collect ideas through brainstorms
You know who your readers are. Now, get a group together and brainstorm ideas on content pieces that will appeal to each buyer persona.
- Create a folder called "Content Brainstorm" and within it, have one task called "Braindump." This will serve as the brainstorming minutes, and will collect all the ideas the team comes up with during the session. Remember, no idea is bad. Capture it all, and show it onscreen.
- As each idea is listed, connect a buyer persona with each one.
- Once the brainstorming session is over, have your content team take the best ideas and turn these into individual tasks within the "Content Brainstorm" folder. These will be the action items from your session.
Build your editorial calendar
Now that you have ideas and audiences in mind, it’s time to create your content calendar.
Create a folder using the “+” button. Every time you create a new task to write a blog post, make sure it's tagged into this folder.
Create a Custom Workflow that accurately reflects all the different stages that your blog posts go through on their way to being published.
Account admins on Business and Enterprise accounts can create a custom workflow.
- Click your profile image in the upper-right corner of your workspace.
- Select Account Management.
- Switch to the Workflow tab. You’ll see a list of all workflows in the account.
- Click + New workflow.
- Enter your new workflow’s name. By default, it has the same status in the Active and Completed workflow categories.
- Add statuses to your workflow: Click + Add Status at the bottom of any workflow group, enter its title, and select a color for that status.
Some statuses you may want to include are:
- In progress
- In Review
- In Design
- Rename, delete, or change a status color by clicking on that status.
- Drag and drop statuses to arrange them in the order that makes the most sense for your team. The order you choose here is the order that they’ll appear in a task’s drop-down status menu.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner.
Create a shared dashboard to monitor content in progress
Build a dashboard with custom widgets to get a single view of how your content is developing and which pieces are overdue. You can even share your dashboards with stakeholders who may be able to promote or use your content.
- Select Dashboards from the top menu.
- Click + New Widget and then + Custom Widget.
- On the filter menu on the left, click Show Workflows and select your custom content workflow.
- Use the filter buttons to select the exact status and data you’d like to display.
- Repeat this to build a custom dashboard showing all of the information you’d like to see on your board.
View Your Editorial Calendar
- Select Calendars from the top menu
- Click + New Calendar
- Name your calendar
- Select the Smart based on tasks option
- Select the folder where you are storing content tasks
- Share your calendar with your team