What Are Digital Marketing Skills?
Marketing has evolved considerably in the last decade. It now requires marketers to be well-versed not only in communication, writing, and marketing strategy but also in search engine optimization, digital marketing analytics, and more. If you’re considering a career in digital marketing, you might be wondering about the digital marketing skills required for someone in this industry.
To be successful, digital marketers need to excel in the following digital marketing skills:
- Writing: While marketers have historically needed strong writing skills, digital marketers need to write for various platforms, shifting tone and style to reach different sets of customers with information about their brand. Digital marketers should be able to write blog posts, eBooks, website content, ad copy, and social media posts.
- Data analysis: The ability to analyze information and strategize based on the assessed data is a critical digital marketing skill. Digital marketers collect data such as website click-throughs, social media engagement, lead conversion, and lifetime customer value. When understood and analyzed by a skilled digital marketer, the marketing team can make decisions that will improve future marketing activities.
- SEO: Search engine optimization is an essential digital marketing skill in this era of marketing. It involves staying on top of the latest SEO practices to ensure marketing messaging reaches as many potential customers as possible.
- Technology: Digital marketers must be able to navigate the extensive technology stack required for the job, from work management platforms to social media management hubs, online editorial calendars, and collaborative whiteboards.
- Social media: Social media content creation and management is an important digital marketing skill. Digital marketers need to create content that actively engages with the audience and helps to increase the potential customer base. They must also correspond with the audience in an authentic and meaningful way.