Where can you go to talk Gantt charts, work breakdown structures, and Agile workflows to your heart's content with other project management aficionados? The internet, of course! There’s a treasure trove of valuable information available online for anyone looking to sharpen their project management skills.
But where do you start?
We’ve compiled a list of over 80 of the very best online resources that any project manager and assistant project manager can use. These include online training sites, podcasts, eBooks, tools and templates, blogs, and more.
- Knowledge Bases & Glossaries
Online Training & Certification Prep
Online Training Courses
1. Essentials of Project Management Series - PMI
This on-demand series provided by the Project Management Institute covers the foundational concepts of project management, including key terminology, an explanation of the project lifecycle, project constraints, an overview of 47 project management processes, an introduction to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), and prep for the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exam.
2. Project Management Fundamentals - Ed2Go
Get an introduction to essential project management techniques and the PMBOK, and prepare for the Project Management Professional (PMP certification) and CAPM exams in this six-week, on-demand course. Learn how to prepare for, plan, and complete a project successfully, from holding an effective project kickoff meeting to risk management and quality assurance.
3. Improving Your Project Management Skills: The Basics for Success - American Managers’ Association
What you’ll learn: This three-day, hands-on project management workshop provides a comprehensive overview of core project management concepts and terminology — from Work Breakdown Structures, Gantt charts, and determining critical path, to estimating project timelines, managing stakeholders, and defining project scope, schedule, budget, and risk.
4. Project Management Fundamentals - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers
This two-day project management course covers the role of a project manager and takes attendees through every stage of the project lifecycle, from initiation and planning to the project closeout. You’ll learn how to determine project scope, identify risks, create a Work Breakdown Structure, create a project schedule, determine costs (including cost variance), and manage a project through its final phases.
5. Fundamentals of Successful Project Management - SkillPath
This two-day course is designed for beginner project managers trying to manage projects on top of their regular job responsibilities. Learn how to avoid missed deadlines, combat the most common problems for projects, plan and estimate project cost, allocate resources, manage multiple projects, and keep projects on track.
Online Project Management Training Providers
1. Corporate Education Group presents a variety of individual classes on topics like risk management and project scope, plus PMP exam prep. Courses usually consist of three-hour sessions spread over a period of several weeks.
2. Global Knowledge has instructors who are certified PMPs and consultants with an average of 15 years experience. Sign up for virtual learning or self-paced courses on Agile, Project Portfolio Management, preventing project failure, and managing high-risk projects. Or enroll in an exam prep boot camp.
3. International Institute for Learning, Inc. provides a comprehensive course catalog, covering both core project management concepts and advanced strategies. IIL conducts virtual and on-demand courses on topics like project scope, risk management, and Earned Value Management systems, plus prep courses for a variety of certifications. If you’re looking to pick up a few PDUs, they also supply a library of on-demand webinars.
4. Passionate PM has a wide selection of on-demand learning modules for earning PDUs, or enrolling in live online prep courses for the PMI-RMP exam, PMP/CAPM exam, or an accelerated PMP “Exam Cram.” All instructors have at least a decade of project experience, and many hold an impressive list of certifications.
5. PDU of the Day highlights a new way to earn PDUs every weekday. People refer opportunities to the site and then site owners review opportunities before posting. Many (but not all) of the opportunities are free, including live webinars and recorded presentations.
6. PDUs2Go.com is run by PMP Jennifer Bridges and offers self-paced Category A PDU courses to purchase and complete at your convenience. Choose the delivery method that best fits your needs: either have a hard copy shipped to you or download digital course materials to review during your commute, on the treadmill, or over a leisurely cup of coffee.
7. PMCentersUSA gives you interactive online classes taught by seasoned project professionals and which cover a variety of topics, including time and cost management, managing multiple projects, portfolio management, and five-day advanced skills virtual workshops. All courses align with the current edition of PMBOK, and when industry standards change, they update their course materials. Check out their weekly webinar series for a chance to score PDUs.
8. PMI E-Learning allows you to earn PDUs through online seminars, on-demand courses, and publication quizzes straight from the Project Management Institute.
9. PMstudy can get you certified online in Program Management, Six Sigma green and black belts, Human Resource Development, and Risk Management. PMStudy also offers PMP and CAPM online exam prep. All instructors are certified project management professionals with an average of 15 years project experience and 400 hours PMP teaching experience.
10. PMSOFT presents live, online accelerated PMP prep and Agile Management methodologies courses, plus continuing education in topics like Work Breakdown Structure standards. Classes are scheduled on weekends to fit your work schedule, and include online reading material and downloadable presentations.
11. Prodevia Learning provides courses for highly-experienced project managers. Throughout the course you have access to a personal instructor, and you can set your own learning schedule with an unlimited amount of time to complete coursework. Courses include “Mastering Project Risk,” “Managing Politics and Conflict in Projects,” and “PMO Design and Implementation.” They also offer a Professional Project Executive (PPE) certification program.
12. RMC Project Management hosts live, instructor-led online classes on project planning, scheduling, communication, work breakdown structures, and more. Online classes use collaborative technologies like live chat, virtual white boards, and file sharing to connect students and instructors. They also offer an extensive selection of exam prep courses, plus free webinars to earn PDUs. All instructors have at least 15 years experience and hold multiple certifications.
13. Simplilearn has developed two options for online learning: self-paced or instructor-led. Choose from exam prep in several areas of project management, including Agile and Scrum certification. Complete practice tests and interact with other students in Simplilearn’s online discussion forums.
14. Watermark Learning courses are built on interactive case studies, to provide hands-on, practical learning opportunities. Courses include “Getting Real Results from Virtual Teams,” “Defining and Analyzing Requirements,” “Recovering Troubled Projects” and more. Instructors have an average of 25 years of experience managing projects.
15. Udemy Project Management Training gives you access to on-demand courses on project planning, project integration management, a Project Management master class by Exner Education, and PMP/CAPM exam prep. Check each course description to determine if it qualifies for PDUs, who the provider is, how many hours of content it includes, and how much it costs.
16. University of Waterloo Center for Extended Learning delivers online course offerings that include project management applications and fundamentals, along with PMP certification prep. Courses run for six weeks, after which you have two weeks to complete a final exam.
17. Villanova University administers online classes in project management essentials, advanced strategies, team effectiveness, Six Sigma, and PMP/CAPM exam prep. They’ve also developed industry-specific courses for IS/IT and healthcare professionals. Engage with classmates and instructors in real time through instant messaging, shared whiteboards, and two-way VOIP calls.
18. Ron Rosenhead, CEO of Project Agency, offers a series of project management training videos, from three-hour introductions for PM beginners to 14-hour intensives for experienced practitioners. Access the Project Management Fundamentals course for free.
19. PMP, PMI-ACP, & CAPM Exam Simulator lets you practice your project management exams in a realistic online environment. Choose from three exam modes: timed, learning, and real exam. Questions are developed by a team of seven certified PMs and updated to the latest exam outlines, and you can retake each exam as many times as you like to practice.
Streaming Videos & Podcasts
1. ProjectManager.com YouTube Channel
This channel includes over 100 videos covering a variety of PM principles, processes, and tips, from improving team efficiency to using a Gantt chart — each under five minutes.
2. International Institute for Learning YouTube Channel
Over 100 short videos (many 30 seconds or less) covering a range of topics, from events like International PM Day to conversations with experts and practical project management advice.
3. The PM Podcast
Hosted by Cornelius Fichtner, The PM Podcast is one of the most high-volume project management podcasts around with 300+ episodes. They interview noted project managers, and also team up with The PM PrepCast to help prepare you for the PMP exam and earn PDUs.
4. People and Projects Podcast
Hosted by Andy Kaufman, these interviews cover topics where leadership meets project management. They release a new episode every three to four weeks, running anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.
5. 5″ PM Podcast
Hosted by Ricardo Vargas, the 5-Minute PM Podcast has nearly 400 episodes, each only five to 10 minutes long. The podcasts are organized into 15 different playlists, including PMOs, Programs and Portfolios, Highly Effective Teams & Leadership, Risk Management, and more.
6. The Lazy Project Manager Podcast
Host Peter Taylor has been described as one of the most entertaining and inspirational speakers in project management, and is a passionate advocate of working smarter, not harder.
7. PM for the Masses Podcast
Host Cesar Abeid interviews experts for tips to improve your project management expertise, and also offers his own personal stories about project management triumphs and failures.
8. The Sensible Project Manager Podcast
Host Mark Phillipy leads new discussions about project management and interviews notable project management thought leaders.
9. Project Management Institute Podcasts
While Project Management Institute does not run a serial podcast show, they do occasionally release helpful podcasts. Running less than 20 minutes, their podcasts cover high-level topics in project management.
10. Project Management War Stories
Wayne Thompson published 52 podcast episodes on fundamental project management principles, and shares his lessons learned from both successful and failed projects.
11. The Project Management Debate Podcast
This 25-minute weekly podcast explores key issues and questions currently facing project managers, debated by Philip and Mary Elizabeth Diab.
Knowledge Bases & Glossaries
1. PMI Knowledge CenterFind thought leadership articles straight from the Project Management Institute’s industry experts on a range of topics, from change and cost control to requirements and risk.
2. Project Management Guide for Beginners - Wrike
A comprehensive introduction to core project management ideas, terms, strategies, and best practices, including an FAQ section, guide to methodologies, glossary, as well as management and team collaboration tips.
3. Max Wideman's Project Management Knowledge BaseMax Wideman, creator of the first edition of the PMBOK and famed project manager, makes his vast knowledge of the project management and project portfolio management fields available for free on his website. Over 500 “Issacons” (Issues and Considerations) are available for practically every aspect of project management, from managing strategic risk, project metrics, methodologies, and project failure.
4. ProjectManagement.com Techniques Wiki
Over 150 techniques are explained in this database, from business change and critical path analysis to variance analysis and workflow diagramming (and everything in between). These wikis can be edited and expanded by those with profiles on ProjectManagement.com, and have come to represent the collective knowledge of the project manager community.
5. PMI Glossary of Terms
This encyclopedic list of project management terms is both alphabetized for easy skimming and searchable, so you can quickly find definitions and explanations of project management terminology.
6. Glossary of Project ManagementThis glossary is hosted by Wikipedia, so it's both thorough and kept up-to-date by the project management community.
Downloadable Guides & eBooks
1. Beginner’s Guide to PM Methodologies - Wrike
Get bite-sized explanations of popular project management methodologies, along with the pros and cons of each approach to help you choose the best one for your team.
2. Project Management Can Be Easy - EasyProjects
Written by a certified PMP with 30 years experience, this eBook covers best practices on project initiation, planning, managing scope, risk, and issues, communicating with stakeholders, and more.
3. A Guide to Project Management - Team Gantt
This practical guide covers both the technicalities of effective project management and the soft skills needed to address everyday management challenges.
4. Project Management Tactics for Pros - NetGuru
This eBook is full of advice on how to manage successful IT projects in a fast-paced environment, from strategies and processes to communicating with and motivating your team.
5. Deadly Sins of Project Management - Project Smart
Brad Egeland does a deep-dive into seven all-too-common missteps that can threaten a project’s success. Avoid making the same mistakes by downloading this free eBook.
6. Best Practices of Resource Management - TeamDeck
Get tried-and-true best practices for managing resources throughout the project lifecycle, along with actionable tips and practical checklists.
7. The Ultimate Guide to Project Management - Zapier
This 230-page behemoth is a comprehensive overview of project management, from Agile methodologies like Scrum and Kanban, tips for choosing the right software, and essential soft skills of the best project managers.
Templates, Toolkits, & Checklists
1. PMBOK Based Project Management Templates
A collection of free templates developed by certified PMPs, organized according to PMBOK process group, from initiation to closing.
2. Project Management Templates
These detailed templates include tables, charts, and forms, and are available for each stage of the project lifecycle, from proposal to review.
3. Project Connections PM Templates
Browse templates organized by project phase, project application, PMO practices, and project management process.
4. 7 Free Project Templates
Wrike's downloadable templates for creative projects, project work plans, marketing campaigns, event planning, and more.
5. Free PM Templates
My PM offers dozens of editable templates designed by an experienced, PMP-certified project manager, for every stage of your project.
6. Project Management Templates
A variety of templates by Elizabeth Harrin of A Girl's Guide to PM for key project management processes, from reporting and communicating with stakeholders to budgeting and risk logs.
7. Construction Project Management Templates & Toolkit
A series of Microsoft Office templates for construction project managers, from project estimating, pricing, and bidding, to execution and closeout.
8. UC Santa Cruz Project Toolkit
This project toolkit is organized by project stage, and includes templates, documents, flowcharts, spreadsheets, and calculators available in a variety of formats: Google Doc, PDF, Word Document, and Excel spreadsheet.
9. ProjectManagement.com Checklists
Six checklists and worksheets, including skill requirements, proposal coordination, post-implementation review, business case, requirements, and PMO justification.
10. Project Kickoff Checklist
A 10-step checklist infographic by Wrike covering the steps needed for a successful project kickoff.
11. Project Planning & Deliverables Checklist
An editable Word Document download that covers requirements and scope definition, as well as the steps to thorough project planning.
12. Project Management Templates & Checklists
A collection of templates, checklists, and practical tips to help project managers with routine operations, including organizing projects, defining team roles and responsibilities, and standardized forms and checklists.
13. Project Management Checklists for Dummies
A series of simplified checklists organized by project stage: kickoff, project planning, and project control.
14. Earned Value Calculator for Project Managers This online calculator is designed to provide project managers with quantitative tracking information about project status. It provides specific numerical measurements for reviewing progress as teams progress through tasks in the project schedule. These measurements are also great for determining schedule variance.
Blogs & Online Communities
1. A Girl's Guide to Project Management
This award-winning blog written by well-known PM Elizabeth Harrin covers a wealth of project management wisdom, including leadership advice, book reviews, time-saving productivity tips, and much more.
2. BetterProjectsThought-provoking articles on the current state of project management, Agile, Lean, and general collaboration by a group of professional project managers.
3. Brad Egeland's Blog
With over 25 years of experience as in IT project management, author and consultant Brad Egeland’s blog hosts over 5,000 articles on a variety of topics, from more efficient meetings to working remotely and dealing with stress.
J. David Prior, a certified Scrum trainer, dives into the challenges of moving from traditional project management to Scum master. Find a treasure trove of Agile project management tips, plus plenty of off-the-cuff humor.
5. Easy in Theory, Difficult in Practice
As evidenced in the title, Kiron Bondale understands the challenges facing project managers. Having managed large change management projects and set up PMOs, he shares real-world project management advice, putting theory into practice.
6. Fear No ProjectAuthor Bruce McGraw focuses on the management side of PM, sharing his experiences, tips, and tricks on issues affecting managers and project management. How can you successfully manage a project, on top of doing your regular job? How do you handle a truly terrible boss? Find the answers here.
7. Herding Cats
Written by Greg B. Alleman, who has 30 years of experience in the field, this blog covers performance-based project management. Find insightful reads on earned value, risk, cost, and Agile program planning.
8. PMTips.net Blog
This blog publishes a collection of articles by noted project managers like Joel Roberts, Elizabeth Harrin, and James Pointon. Popular posts include Project Dashboards 101, What Your Stakeholders Need to Know About Your Project, and 5 Knowledge Sharing Tips to Supercharge Your Productivity.
9. Project-Management.com Blog
This high-volume blog posts several times a week on a range of everyday project management challenges, like email productivity, building trust on your team, top industry trends, and much more.
10. Project News Today Blog
Portfolio, program, and project manager Barry Hodge is also a coach and mentor who aims to help his readers deliver successful projects. Get practical advice on delivering projects on time, from kickoff to closeout.
This blog hosts a library of articles by notable project managers like Duncan Haughty, Stacey Marone, and Brad Egeland. Search article categories to find posts about specific aspects of project management, like stakeholder management, team building, IT project management, best practices, and dozens more.
Find over 1,200 articles full of tips, techniques, and best practices for effective project management.
13. Projects At Work
“How do you get things done in the real world?” This is the question the authors at the Projects At Work blog seek to answer. This blog covers both new approaches and established best practices on everything from Agile to PMOs.
14. Ricardo Vargas' BlogWritten by international specialist in project management Ricardo Vargas, these in-depth articles will help you better understand the intricacies of effective project and portfolio management.
15. The Project ShrinkDutch author and illustrator Bas de Baar's blog tackles project management issues in a highly visual way. His engaging illustrations and comics teach essential project management lessons on team culture, problem solving and innovation, and collaboration.
16. The Lazy Project Manager
As author and speaker Peter Taylor says, this is the “home of productive laziness.” In his mission to teach people to work smarter, not harder, Taylor’s articles cover effective team management, social project management, and more.
17. Voices on Project Management
A collection of articles by various authors on project management strategies, insights, and lessons learned, for when you need a new perspective.
Stanford professor Bob Sutton studies innovation, leadership, evidence-based management, and the workplace. A New York Times bestselling author, Sutton shares his insights on managing projects and teams in his blog.
19. Wrike Blog for Brilliant TeamsVisit the Wrike blog for project management how-tos, guides, trends, best practices, and leadership advice for both novice and experienced project managers.
20. Project Management 2.0 on LinkedIn
In this community, nearly 20,000 project managers share their experiences and ideas on how to make contemporary project management more efficient.
21. Project Manager Community on LinkedIn
With over 350,000 members, this is the largest project management group on LinkedIn. Learn about how to get a project management certification, job opportunities, training videos, and new approaches to project management.
22. Project Management Magazine on Flipboard
This Flipboard magazine is curated by Michael Kaplan and includes over 1,700 articles of breaking news, analysis, video, and research by and for project practitioners.
Obsessed with Project Management?
What are your favorite project management blogs, tools, templates, and other online resources you’ve bookmarked? Let us know in the comments below and we’ll add them to our list!