You probably think that you encourage your employees to take breaks (90% of employers do) — but in reality, more than 25% of your workers don’t take a single break during the day other than to grab lunch.
Breaks are proven to improve happiness, health, focus, productivity, and mental performance. So how can you help your team step away from their work for a breather? Give them a comfortable break room!
Stocking the Perfect Office Break Room
- To reduce stress, offer chamomile tea, oatmeal, oranges, nuts, and milk.
- To boost productivity, provide berries, seeds and nuts, avocados, yogurt, dark chocolate, and green tea.
- Avoid candy, baked goods, processed foods, soda, and energy drinks.
- Use the right colors: blues and greys are calming, slowing the heart rate and lowering blood pressure.
- Don't forget the java! Coffee improves alertness, mental performance and concentration, makes us more supportive of one another in social situations, and prevents cognitive decline.
- When you don’t provide coffee, 22% of your employees will leave the office to grab a cup, leading to an average $15,000 in lost productivity each year.
See the complete infographic below for more details on the health benefits of work breaks, plus ideas to help your team take short breaks throughout the day while still getting things done.
Want more team productivity tips?
Check out our collection of resources, strategies, and techniques to fight procrastination, find your motivation, and be more productive.